Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Presidential Inauguration

Jan 20 09


Presidential Inauguration



We were told to go down to the auditorium of the historic event. I was just finishing off the Garfield comic I was reading. We slowly tread our way to the auditorium moving like a shapeless blob. I put my bag in my locker and headed down.


The inauguration was truly a sight to behold. They held many events leading up to and after the inauguration of Barack Obama and Joe Biden. There was a singing of America tis of Thee and a musical performance with players like Yo Yo Ma and Itzak Perlman, whom everybody laughed at. Curiously, Obama wasn’t the first to get inaugurated, Joe Biden went first and then, after a couple of speeches and songs, the first African American President Elect, to be the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama went up to the stand and, in front of Robert Gates, repeated the words: I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will do to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me god. He may have stumbled on the “execute” part, but that flaw only made the Inauguration more unique, for the moment after he had finished speaking, 100 million people across the United States went berserk. A new age had dawned on the world, the 44th and first African American President of the United States of America was officially in office. It was truly a historic moment. Later he made a speech that brought tears to the eyes of many and was a beacon of inspiration for many as well. This day made history. I was there to see it. That was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment